Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Class reunion

And I was doing so well posting consistently over the past two months.  I think I went into a sort of hibernation mentally and physically once I got home from work each day.  This weather is killin me.  

Anyhow, onward.  

I know not all of my readers are my age.  Which I'm reminded of with observations like: "Ha!  You ain't seen nothin yet!", "Just wait, Matt!  Just wait!" and "It's only begun."  All in reference to the fact that, yes we only have one child who is two; therefore I have a grand total of two years of being a dad under my belt.  I'm a newbie, a softy and ignorant mass of daddy-ness.  

That all being said, I'm going to write about high school, which, for me was almost 15 years ago.  I know!  I know!  You've been out 25 years, or 20, or 30 . . . I get it, I'm young.

This past weekend we got together with a friend I graduated high-school with and his family.  His wife went to the same high-school, they were "sweet hearts", so my wife was the odd Ohioan out, but that didn't matter one bit.  It was a nice evening with fellow parents, they have a 2 and a half year old and are expecting.  

The most surreal moment came with the thought that 15 years ago, my friend and I would have been at band practice or at lunch together.  Now here we stood, having beers and watching our sons play together.  Worries weren't about upcoming tests, but about our kids falling and, yep, potty training.    

We had plenty of laughs, parent talk, high-school talk about classmates, it was nostalgic and comfortable.  It was comfortable in the fact that while we may have changed in some ways over the years, we realized the roots of our friendship were still there.  It's something I'm sure most of us fear; running into an old friend and realizing enough has changed in either one or both of you to make it uncomfortable.  So maybe we lucked out or maybe we came full circle.  

And yes, it all "made us feel old".  


No comments:

Post a Comment