Friday, January 17, 2014

Look to the chimps!

Something that has become an absolute favorite, pretty much daily, occurrence of mine is when Ben says things like, "See Daddy?  See?!  Geese, over there!" and "No, over there!  There."  

I think it's the idea of a two year old giving instructions to his dad who is 30 years his senior that is both cute and something to be proud of.  Pride in the fact that he's absorbed something, thought about it and wants to insure I "get it" too.  He sees something he likes and wants to share the excitement.  That something could be an animal, a song, a train or simply that the snowman decoration out front fell over and needs help - "Daddy, snowman fell over!  Help him!".   Of course, from my last post, going "pee-pee" is also an exciting event to share.     

I'd like to think this sort of thing has firm roots in the manner in which my wife and I have been striving to teach him.  While technology is that ever-present, ever-growing elephant in the room, in the home and wherever we go, there are so many other means for Ben to be exposed to and learn from.  I know I've brought this up before in passing via a previous post (See "Fear itself") but figured I'd bring it up again and expand on it a bit. 

The habits of my wife and I, and our daily routines, already put technology in the equation of raising our little man; watching TV, using computers, cell phones, etc.  It would be hypocritical, a disservice even, to deny these things exist in the world we live in and deny Ben access to them.  I can see, even if my wife and I didn't really talk it over thoroughly, that we both prefer him to learn primarily by doing, interacting, talking, playing, tasting, etc. etc. whenever possible.  The tactile means of understanding the world. It seems logical to me, a very primal, natural approach. 

No, I'm not getting "all hippie" on you!

I'd be willing to bet most people reading this have seen some sort of documentary or even read about chimps and/or gorillas and how they learn, act and communicate.  (Now the title of this post begins to make sense!  Right?)  They don't have technology to turn to to help explain why it would be a bad idea to eat a certain plant or touch a certain insect, they have their surroundings and their instincts.  If they can't learn from them, they'll learn by making a mistake. Though I wonder what they'd Google.  "Most effective way to hurl poo in self defense"; "Why do humans stare at me, chimp", "Single, hairy male, looking for . . .".  OK, I'm done.

 
 
I sincerely believe we can learn a lot from them, other animals and "the good old days"; I'm talking pre-TV at least, but further back has some valuable lessons and skills that can be valuable in raising our children.  Not only can it be a benefit in becoming that "well-rounded" individual, but also capable, functioning members of society.  While we're at it, if we're looking to teach our children this way, leading by example is a powerful booster. 
 
My wife is wonderful at this, taking Ben on walks in the neighborhood, going outside to look at the full moon, looking and listening for birds . . . wow, that all does sound a little hippie.  Well, whatever you may title it, maybe it's what we all need to keep in mind as we walk our children into and through this crazy world.       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment