Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sad and glad

The other day something happened that upset me.  It made me curse,made me let out a small sob and effectively put me in the dumps in an instant.  Not really important what happened, just know it was noticeable, to the whole household, that I was upset over it.

As I walked over to slump down onto the couch, I noticed Ben stopped playing and was looking up at me.  My first inner thought was, "Aw man, look how I acted (and am continuing to act) in front of the kid.  He shouldn't see this."  It was as if audio recordings of my mom and wife and ever other mom and wife in history was playing "You're setting a bad example!" on repeat.  One of those moments when not only are you still upset about whatever set you off in the first place but then you're upset for showing it in the way you did. 

So there I was, sulking and Ben walks up to me, pats me on the knee a few times and says "Hi Daddy, Hi Daddy."  He repeated this again and put his arms up.  I snatched him up onto my chest where he immediately put his head down.  I thanked him, gave him a hug, kissed the top of his head and, after a few minutes, he hopped down and went back to his trains.

At that point I felt both pride in my son and luck for myself.  There was no expectation that he should do what he did.  Sure, maybe he learned something about compassion at daycare or when my wife and I console him when he is upset.  Whatever the reason, I hope he continues on this path and doesn't grow out of it. 

It's a crazy thing when you feel your toddler is acting more mature than yourself.  For him, at this age, things are pretty much black and white.  Something makes you mad, you yell.  You like someone you hug them.  You don't like someone being around you, you shove them (saw that one today).  There is no social stigma attached his actions because they are so basic.  Ben can't overcomplicate anything yet.  Can't over-think anything.

When I grow up, I want to be like my two year old . . . in some ways.    

No comments:

Post a Comment